This startup is the solution for renewable packing solution (non plastic bags)
25th, February 2018 - Startup
When it comes to getting familiar with the world of environmental friendly packaging, it is easy to become lost in the ever-expanding reservoir of biodegradable, degradable, compostable, bio-derived and renewable packaging. Although these terms mean slightly different things, they are the variations of a central theme: shifting conventional, non-renewable plastics into the renewable resource arena. One such startup, steering towards the mission of a plastic free world and creating an alternative solution to plastic at affordable prices, is Biogreen.
Creating ingenious solutions
Launched on 30th Jan’18, Bangalore based Biogreen was born with a vision to replace all disposable plastics with high quality, degradable Biogreen products.
“The Karnataka Government imposed a complete ban on all plastic and plastic products in the state on March 11, 2016, without actually having any alternative to provide the people of the state to carry various essentials hassle-free. When I went to purchase groceries for my home in paper bags including rice and dal, it started breaking as soon as it came in contact with the moisture from the milk packet. I looked for alternatives myself and unable to find any inexpensive one, BioGreen was born then!” says the founder Mohammed Sadiq. who started his entrepreneurial journey at a young age of 16.
Creating ingenious solutions
Plastic, being an integral part of our life, has otherwise become a menace because of its reckless disposal. In India, only 20% of the plastic waste generated every day is recycled. The remaining 80% are dumped or burnt in landfills and dumping sites. It is mostly the plastic carry bags, which are used enormously; those are non-biodegradable and continue polluting the environment for years together. This raises serious concerns regarding the safety of the environment we live in. Biogreen solves these major concerns by manufacturing 100% organic and waterproof plastic bags, which decompose completely within 160 days and can further be used as high quality manure. These products are created from natural starch, vegetable oil derivatives and vegetable wastes, thereby decreasing the amount of municipal waste as well
Biogreen bags are India’s first 100% biodegradable substitute to the immortally toxic reign of plastic bags; made from natural starch, vegetable oil derivatives and vegetable waste. Completely harmless to the environment, plants and even animals, which if consume these bags would be safe since it is edible and completely biodegradable. According to a report by the Minister of State for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, more than 15,000 tonnes of plastic waste was generated in India every day in 2015, of which 6,000 tonnes remain uncollected and littered; resulting into death of one million sea birds and 100,000 marine mammals annually from plastic in our oceans. Having a plastic bag that’s 100% biodegradable, recyclable, waterproof, made from organic wastes and most importantly produces 90% less greenhouse gases is perhaps exactly the cure that the world was waiting for!
The next step was gathering the raw materials for the production of such bags from around the world. According to Sadiq, the hardest part of it all was educating and explaining the people and the government officials of the state about the product and acquiring the required licenses for the same.
This Bootstrapped network has a Direct Sales Business Model, based upon Subscription and Pay-per-Use according to the demands of the customer.
Current stature and future goalsBiogreen is a global initiative with fast growing markets in countries including Africa, Italy, Dubai and India among many others. Regular exports to the US, UK and African countries have been in progress. They have been setting up distribution networks across India with 3 manufacturing units already established in Pune, Dharwad and Trichy. Their major clients include the Future group, Myntra, D-mart and other major super markets.Biogreen is moving forward with an aim to replace at least 50% of plastic products available in the market by the year 2020 and elevate our country to become a hub for the biodegradation industry.
Usage of these green bags in everyday life can definitely lead to a healthier environment. Biogreen manufactures standard products, such as bags and packaging materials for varied purposes, which can be ordered in minimal quantity at affordable prices. Join hands with this unique venture and contribute to a greener tomorrow!
Categories: Startup Event , Startup community , News , Food tech , Legal tech startup , HR Tech , Tech Startup , Guest blog , Featured entrepreneur , Startup funding , FinTech , International news , International Startup , Analytics , Product review , Social enterprise , Health care , My journey , Co working space , Fashion , Sponsored , F&B